I have made a new version of ExTiX – The Ultimate Linux System. I call it ExTiX 18.7 LXQt Live DVD. (The previous version was 18.4 from 180419).
ExTiX 18.7 LXQt DVD 64 bit is based on Debian 9 Stretch and Ubuntu 18.04.1 Bionic Beaver. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Gnome. After removing Gnome I have installed LXQt 0.12.0. LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment.
The system language is ENGLISH.
My special kernel 4.18.0-rc5-extix corresponding Kernel.org’s unstable kernel 4.18-rc5. You can download “my” kernel if you want to use it another Ubuntu/Debian system.
What’s new in kernel 4.18?
NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 18.7 Build 180723 with the LXQt Desktop environment
1. ExTiX LXQt is based on Ubuntu 18.04.1 Bionic Beaver. LXQt 0.12.0 is used as Desktop environment. All packages have been updated to the latest version by 180723. Kernel 4.18.0-rc5-extix is used. (Kernel.org‘s kernel 4.18-rc5).
2. Firefox has replaced Google Chrome as Web Browser. It’s now possible to watch Netflix movies also in Firefox (while running Linux).
3. I have replaced Ubuntu’s installer Ubiquity with Calamares Installer. Calamares is an installer framework. By design it is very customizable, in order to satisfy a wide variety of needs and use cases.
4. Other included important/useful packages are: LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GParted, Brasero, SMPlayer, GCC and other compilation tools so that you can install packages from source. Furthermore “all” multimedia codecs. Everything the average Linux user could wish for I would say.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new version from 180723?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 4 (Load to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 180723.
4. I’ve replaced kernel 4.16.2-exton with kernel 4.18.0-rc5-extix (Kernel.org‘s unstable kernel 4.18-rc5). “My” kernel is patched so that you can install Nvidia’s proprietary graphics driver if you like.
Screenshot of ExTiX 18.7 Desktop – LXQt 0.12.0
Netflix running in ExTiX 18.7
Refracta tools running while logged in as user live
Connections to Windows computers via PCManFM-qt using Samba
ExTiX running in VMware
ExTiX running in VirtualBox
Read about my Android-x86 Systems – Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow, Lollipop and KitKat at
andex.exton.net – latest is AndEX Oreo 8.1!
about my Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow and Lollipop versions for Raspberry Pi 3/2 at
raspex.exton.se – latest is RaspAnd Oreo 8.1!