I have made a new version of ExTiX – The Ultimate Linux System. I call it ExTiX 17.4 LXQt Live DVD. (The previous version was 17.2 from 170320).
ExTiX 17.4 LXQt DVD 64 bit is based on Debian 8.7 Jessie/Debian 9 Stretch and Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus, released 170412. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Unity (Ubuntu). After removing Unity I have installed LXQt 0.11.1. LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment.
NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 17.4 build 170418 with LXQt Desktop environment
1. ExTiX LXQt is based on Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus. LXQt 0.11.1 is used as Desktop environment. All packages have been updated to the latest version by 170418. Kernel 4.10.0-19-exton is used. (Kernel.org‘s kernel 4.10.8).
2. Google Chrome is used as Web Browser, which makes it possible to watch Netflix movies. It is normally not possible in Firefox (in Linux).
3. I have also installed BlueGriffon 2.3.1 Web Editor. BlueGriffon is a new WYSIWYG content editor for the World Wide Web. Powered by Gecko, the rendering engine of Firefox, it’s a modern and robust solution to edit Web pages in conformance to the latest Web Standards. Only to be compared with Dreamweaver. (In my opinion).
4. Other included important/useful packages are: LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GParted, Brasero, SMPlayer, GCC and other compilation tools so that you can install packages from source. Furthermore “all” multimedia codecs. Everything the average Linux user could wish for I would say.
5. I have also installed Nvidia’s proprietary graphics driver 381.09 in this new version ExTiX LXQt. It has support for the following GPUs: Vulkan, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti,TITAN Xp, Quadro GP100, Quadro P4000, Quadro P2000, Quadro K1200, Quadro M6000, GeForce 920M, GeForce 930A, GeForce 930M, GeForce 940M, GeForce GTX 950M, GeForce GTX 960M and GeForce GTX TITAN X. This driver will be used automatically if your card is supported (if you start up ExTiX in compatibility mode).
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new version from 170418?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 170418.
4. I’ve replaced kernel 4.10.0-14-exton with kernel 4.10.0-19-exton (Kernel.org‘s stable kernel 4.10.8).
5. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.
Screenshot of ExTiX 17.4 Desktop – LXQt 0.11.1
Google Chrome with Netflix running
Connections to Windows computers via PCManFM-qt using Samba