I have made a new extra version of ExTiX – The Ultimate Linux System. I call it ExTiX 18.10 LXQt Live DVD. It is for non-efi computers and VirtualBox/VMware. I.e. you can use the Calamares Installer also in for example VirtualBox and VMware. Which means that you can install ExTiX in any language.
ExTiX 18.10 LXQt DVD 64 bit is based on Debian and upcoming Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish (to be released 181018). The original system includes the Desktop Environment Gnome. After removing Gnome I have installed LXQt 0.13.0. LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment. NOTE: This ExTiX LXQt Build is for installation to non UEFI-enabled computers and VirtualBox/VMware.
The system language is ENGLISH.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new version from 181006?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 4 (Load to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 181006.
4. You can install that you can install Nvidia’s proprietary graphics driver (without problems) if you like.
5. You can install ExTiX to hard drive using Calamares Installer on older non-efi computers (and VirtualBox/VMware). Which means that you can install ExTiX in your preferred language.
6. While running ExTiX LXQt 18.10 live or from hard drive you can use Refracta snapshot (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system. A ten year child can do it!
THE IMPORTANCE of ExTiX LXQt now being based on Ubuntu 18.10 (UNSTABLE/DEVELOPMENT)
I don’t think it is too important since ExTiX LXQt doesn’t use complicated Desktop Environments like KDE, Gnome or Unity. Programs won’t crash or anything like that. And I haven’t discovered any bugs to report.
Screenshot of ExTiX 18.10 root Desktop – LXQt 0.13.0
Screenshot of ExTiX 18.10 live Desktop – LXQt 0.13.0
Calamares running in VMware in ExTiX 18.10
Refracta tools running while logged in as user live
Connections to Windows computers via PCManFM-qt using Samba
ExTiX running in VMware
ExTiX running in VirtualBox