ABOUT RaspEX Kodi
RaspEX Kodi Build 190124 with LXDE/Kodi Desktops is made especially for the new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, but can of course also be used on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. RaspEX Kodi is based on Debian, Raspbian and Kodi Media Center. In RaspEX Kodi I’ve added the LXDE Desktop with many useful applications such as VLC Media Player and NetworkManager. Makes it easy to configure your wireless network. I’ve also upgraded Kodi to a BETA version (Kodi 18 RC4 Leia), which makes it possible to include useful addons such as Netflix, Plex and Amazon Video. Which I’ve done. Study all included packages in RaspEX Kodi.
About RaspEX Kodi
Running RaspEX Kodi you will immediately end up in X and LXDE as the ordinary user raspex. After the first boot you shall use NetworkManager for configuring your network connection. Just click on the network icon in the upper right panel and chose your wireless network. Watch this screenshot. The big difference between Raspbian and RaspEX Kodi is that Kodi 18 RC4 Leia is pre-installed in RaspEX Kodi together with some really useful addons (Netflix, Plex and Amazon Video). Those addons need Widevine to run. While you are logged in to the LXDE Desktop you can use Synaptic Package Manager to install all extra packages you may need. Since RaspEX Kodi is based on Raspbian/Debian you’ll have about 30000 packages to chose between. When logged in as raspex you can use Sudo to become root. Example: sudo su and sudo pcmanfm. While logged in to the LXDE Desktop you can (of course) go on to Kodi directly. Just open Kodi like any other program. NOTE: You cannot run Kodi as root.
RaspEX Kodi performance
RaspEX Kodi is a very fast and responsive Rpi system. Much due to very low memory (RAM) usage. About 150 MB as this screenshot shows. I’ve said that RaspEX LXDE Build 181015 is very fast. RaspEX Kodi is even faster especially if you use the new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ to run it. The video and sound quality is also very very good. Even while running RaspEX Kodi on big TV screens. I.e. you can really enjoy Netflix and YouTube running on your Rpi mini computer!
1. Running Kodi
2. The LXDE Desktop logged in as the ordinary user osmc
3. The LXDE Desktop logged in as root (super admin)
4. Netflix running showing very good video quality – 1
5. Netflix running showing very good video quality – 2
6. YouTube running showing very good video quality
7. Choosing program addons in Kodi
8. RaspEX Kodi showing system INFO
Read about my Android-x86 Systems – Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow, Lollipop and KitKat at
andex.exton.net – latest is AndEX Oreo 8.1!
about my Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow and Lollipop versions for Raspberry Pi 3/2 at
raspex.exton.se – latest is RaspAnd Oreo 8.1!
RaspAnd Nougat 7.1.1 Build 170127 is an Android 7.1.1 Nougat system which can run on Raspberry Pi 3 and Pi 2. I have included the following apps:
1) GAPPS (latest by 170125)
2) Kodi 17.0-RC4 (with YouTube enabled and working!)
3) Firefox 51.0
4) Spotify 1.0.0
5) Rotation Control Pro 1.1.9
6) AIDA64 1.44
7) Aptoide App Store 18.104.22.168
8) YouTube 1.3.11 (sound, but no video. If you, however, use SnapTube you can download videos/movies from YouTube and replay them in Windows or Linux with perfect video quality)
9) ES File Explorer Pro 1.0.8
10) Gmail 7.1.1
11) Google Play Services 10.2.91
12) Google App 22.214.171.124
13) Google Play Store 7.4.12.L-all (not working, but since Google Play Services work very well you can install many new GAPPS using Aptoide App Store).
14) SnapTube 126.96.36.199.8655
Kodi (an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media center for playing videos, music, pictures, games, and more) works very well in RaspAnd. You can enable a lot of Add-ons. Most important is that the YouTube Add-on is enabled by default and that it works very well. I.e. both the sound and the video performance when running YouTube in Kodi is satisfying.
1. The screen can flicker sometimes on certain monitors. In the worst cases it can look like this. Fix: Click on the screen or wait a moment.
2. Google Play Store won’t run. Nothing to do about it (right now). Aptoide is a good replacement since you can install most Google apps using Aptoide.
3. You can’t watch videos/movies using the YouTube app. The sound is very good though. Nothing to do about it (right now). Please note that you can run YouTube in Kodi with good video and sound quality.
4. Not all apps will run in RaspAnd Nougat. You can for example run the popular (?) Clash of Clans, but not Angry Birds. Many many apps will run without problems though.
5. You may have to reconnect to your Wifi Network after every reboot of RaspAnd. Sort of a “bug”.
PLEASE NOTE that the installation to a Micro SD Card has to take place in Linux.
Screenshot 1 – Aptoide App Store running
Screenshot 2 – RaspAnd’s Desktop
Screenshot 3 – Kodi running
Screenshot 4 – Kodi running (choosing Add-ons)
Screenshot 5 – ES File Explorer running
Screenshot 6 – Spotify running
Screenshot 7 – AIDA64 running
Screenshot 8 – SnapTube running
Screenshot 9 – SnapTube running and downloading from YouTube
Note: The “screenshots” are taken with my mobile phone camera. The colors are therefore not perfect. I.e. when running RaspAnd on your Raspberry Pi the screen colors are much better!