RaspEX – Build 160703 based on Ubuntu 16.04 – with OpenCPN 4.4.0 (latest version) – especially made for Raspberry Pi 3
OpenCPN is a free software (GPLv2) project to create a concise chart plotter and navigation software, for use underway or as a planning tool. OpenCPN is developed by a team of active sailors using real world conditions for program testing and refinement. Read about the new features in OpenCPN 4.4.0 (released 160613)…
This build (160703) replaces build 160308. Ubuntu has been upgraded to version 16.04 and OpenCPN to version 4.4.0 – latest. Build 160703 is made especially for Raspberry Pi 3, but can also be used on Raspberry Pi 2. The Desktop environment LXDE is used. The “Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment” is an extremely fast-performing and energy-saving desktop environment. LXDE uses less CPU and less RAM than other environments. It is especially designed for cloud computers with low hardware specifications, such as netbooks, mobile devices (e.g. MIDs) or older computers.
ABOUT RaspEX Build 160703
RaspEX is a Linux ARM system for Raspberry Pi 3 and Pi 2. It is based on Debian Jessie (Debian 8.5), Xenial Xerus (Ubuntu 16.04) and Linaro (Open Source software for ARM SoCs). In this new version (160703) I’ve installed OpenCPN 4.4.0 from source.
Read this OpenCPN Review….
Watch a YouTube video that shows the performance of OpenCPN on a Raspberry Pi…
NOTE: Please don’t ask me technical questions about how to use OpenCPN. I’m no expert on OpenCPN. You can search the Internet for answers. There is a lot written about OpenCPN and Raspberry Pi. The Cruisers Forum (World Cruising and Sailing Wiki) is a good starting point.
Besides from LXDE and OpenCPN a lot of ordinary Debian/Ubuntu packages are pre-installed. I can mention Firefox, Chromium Web Browser, Synaptic Package Manager and Gimp. Study the full package list of 160703…
1. RaspEX Build 160703 with OpenCPN 4.4.0 running using the 7″ Touchscreen Monitor for Raspberry Pi
2. RaspEX Build 160703 with OpenCPN 4.4.0 – Boston
3. RaspEX Build 160703 with Spotify and a virtual keyboard
4. RaspEX Build 160703 showing the Desktop and Network connections
5. RaspEX Build 160703 using Samba (connection with my Windows computers in my network) running
6. OpenCPN World Map (old version of OpenCPN)
7. OpenCPN Florida – Cape Canaveral (old version of OpenCPN)
8. OpenCPN New York – Approaches to New York (old version of OpenCPN)
9. OpenCPN Stockholm Archipelago (old version of OpenCPN)
Compatibility :: July 2016
Unfortunately not all systems made for Raspberry Pi 2 will run on the new Pi 3. They need to be upgraded with a new kernel. I therefore have to upgrade the systems I distribute. I.e. RaspEX, RaspEX with OpenCPN, RaspAnd Lollipop, RaspAnd Marshmallow and RaspArch. I have now (160703) upgraded all systems. Read about the new Raspberry Pi 3…