NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 15.1.1 KDE build 150221
In this new extra version/build I have replaced Unity/Ubuntu with KDE 4.14.4 (latest) and KDE Frameworks 5.7.0. KDE Frameworks are 60 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested libraries with friendly licensing terms. All common KDE packages are installed- packages LIST. I have added LibreOffice (the whole suite), Google Chrome (to make it possible to watch Netflix movies), Samba (so you can reach your Windows shares) and GCC and other compilation tools (so that you can install packages from source). Kernel 3.19.0-5-exton is used.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially version 150221 and 150205?
1. The ExTiX ISO is a ISO-hybrid, which means that it can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can then even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence! I’ve found two scripts which make the installation to USB very simple. My tests show that they work flawlessly on USB installations of all normal Ubuntu systems. Read my INSTRUCTION how to use the scripts.
2. Another big improvement is that ExTiX can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. ExTiX is now more stable than ever. All packages have been upgraded to the latest versions by 150221 and 150205.
4. I’ve replaced kernel 3.16.0-21-exton with kernel 3.19.0-5-exton and 3.18.0-10-exton (Kernel.org’s stable kernel 3.19.0/3.18.3).
5. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.
See this screenshot of ExTiX KDE’s Desktop
NEWS ABOUT DebEX KDE build 150219
I have made a new version of DebEX KDE Live DVD. It replaces version 150116. It’s a pure Debian 8 system. I.e.: There are no Ubuntu or Kubuntu elements involved. (One could also say it’s The real McCoy!). DebEX KDE uses KDE 4.14.3 and KDE Plasma Desktop 5:84 as Desktop environment. (The latest stable version of KDE) and kernel 3.19.0-5-exton. I have installed Nvidia’s proprietary graphic driver 346.35. Furthermore Google Chrome to make it possible to watch Netflix movies. I’ve added SMPlayer – an alternative to Vlc. (SMPlayer is a free media player for Windows and Linux with built-in codecs that can play virtually all video and audio formats. It doesn’t need any external codecs. Just install SMPlayer and you’ll be able to play all formats without the hassle to find and install codec packs). All other installed packages have also been updated to the latest version of 150219. Study the full package list.
Debian Jessie/DebEX are rolling distributions, which implies that once you have installed the system on the hard drive there is no need for re-installations (which otherwise is common in the Linux world). This means, for example, that you can go on and install Gnome 3.14 or/and KDE 4.14.3 in DebEX Barebone/KDE. I.e. the latest versions (as of 150219) of Gnome and KDE.
Screenshot of the KDE Plasma Desktop in version 150219 of DebEX KDE
NEWS/CHANGES in MeX Linux build 150214
All packages in MeX Linux have been upgraded to the latest version by 150214. Cairo-Dock has been replaced by Docky. The most important change is that I have replaced the install program Ubiquity with MeX Installer. The installation to hard drive is now so simple that a 10 year old child can do it. Watch a SLIDESHOW of the hard drive installation process. Also: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca is based on Debian and Ubuntu 14.04. MeX build 150214 is based on Debian Jessie, Ubuntu 14.10 and Linux Mint 17.1. I have replaced kernel 3.16.0-28-generic with “my” special kernel 3.19.0-5-exton (corresponding Kernel.org’s kernel 3.19.0).
To make it possible to run MeX from RAM I have kept down the number of installed packages. The MeX ISO file is of 1260 MB. The ISO size has increased a bit because of me installing Google Chrome (to make it possible to watch Netflix movies). All packages have been updated to the latest available stable version as of February 14, 2015. See a complete list of all installed packages.
The latest original Ubuntu kernel 3.16.0-28-generic (for live systems) corresponding Kernel.org’s kernel 3.16.4 has been replaced by “my” special kernel 3.19.0-5-exton (corresponding Kernel.org’s kernel 3.19.0). The best thing with kernel 3.19 is that it has better support for the open-source Nvidia driver Nouveau than any other older kernel.
Feature OVERVIEW for the Linux 3.19 kernel
Who can benefit from MeX?
All who like Debian/Ubuntu/Mint and want a system that is easy to use and maintain. Also those who want to run a Linux system superfast from RAM and/or like to run Linux from a USB flash drive. And those who want the latest stable kernel – 3.19.0.
See this screenshot of the Cinnamon Desktop
WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 150126?
1. ExLight is now based on upcoming Ubuntu 15.04 (alias Vivid Vervet) and Debian Jessie.
2. I have upgraded the Desktop environment Enlightenment (Beauty at your fingertips) to version 0.19.1.
3. I have replaced kernel 3.16.0-21-exton with kernel 3.18.0-10-exton.
4. ExLight’s ISO file is now a ISO-hybrid, which means that it can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can then even run ExLight from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence! I’ve found two scripts which make the installation to USB very simple. The scripts are quite ingenious. My tests show that they work flawlessly on USB installations of all normal Ubuntu systems. Read my INSTRUCTION how to use the scripts.
5. Another big improvement is that ExLight can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExLight that way.
6. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended in ExLight version 150126. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.
7. I have installed Nvidia Graphic driver 346.35.
8. The ISO file has decreased in size from 1200 MB to 768 MB. It means that the system will run faster from DVD or USB stick. When you run ExLight from RAM everything will be superfast!
The Desktop Environment is Enlightenment 0.19.1. (Beauty at your fingertips). Kernel 3.18.0-10-exton is used. (Kernel.org‘s kernel 3.18.3). Program content: Synaptic, GParted, Wicd, AbiWord, PCManFM, Google Chrome (for watching Netflix movies) and Gimp. Also some additions in order to install programs from source. Study the full program LIST. All packages have been updated to the latest available version as at January 26, 2015.
The system language is English.
See a screenshot of the Enlightenment 0.19.1 Desktop