EXTON OpSuS 13.2 KDE is based on openSUSE 13.2, released 20150108. EXTON OpSuS KDE uses kernel 3.16.7 and KDE 4.14.4. Installed programs: Among many other programs, Firefox, Thunderbird, FileZilla, Gimp, Vlc, Network Manager, Samba client, GParted and LibreOffice. Study the full list of PACKAGES. You’ll run the system as root or as the ordinary user live. Root’s and live’s password is root/live. EXTON OpSuS can easily be installed to hard drive (of those who so desire). That is directly while running the system from a USB stick. All programs have been updated to the latest available stable version as of February 17, 2015. The system language is English.
Installing to a USB stick and/or to hard drive
After installing EXTON OpSuS 13.2 to a USB stick, you can change the system completely and then install the system to a hard drive. You can also continue to have it only on the USB stick and run EXTON OpSuS on any computer you want. If you install EXTON OpSuS on a large enough (and fast) USB pen drive, you can go ahead and install for example Cinnamon, Mate or Xfce4. All your system changes are automatically saved to the USB stick. Persistence!
Why should someone choose EXTON OpSuS/openSUSE?
See a screenshot of the KDE Desktop
NEWS/CHANGES in MeX Linux build 150214
All packages in MeX Linux have been upgraded to the latest version by 150214. Cairo-Dock has been replaced by Docky. The most important change is that I have replaced the install program Ubiquity with MeX Installer. The installation to hard drive is now so simple that a 10 year old child can do it. Watch a SLIDESHOW of the hard drive installation process. Also: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca is based on Debian and Ubuntu 14.04. MeX build 150214 is based on Debian Jessie, Ubuntu 14.10 and Linux Mint 17.1. I have replaced kernel 3.16.0-28-generic with “my” special kernel 3.19.0-5-exton (corresponding Kernel.org’s kernel 3.19.0).
To make it possible to run MeX from RAM I have kept down the number of installed packages. The MeX ISO file is of 1260 MB. The ISO size has increased a bit because of me installing Google Chrome (to make it possible to watch Netflix movies). All packages have been updated to the latest available stable version as of February 14, 2015. See a complete list of all installed packages.
The latest original Ubuntu kernel 3.16.0-28-generic (for live systems) corresponding Kernel.org’s kernel 3.16.4 has been replaced by “my” special kernel 3.19.0-5-exton (corresponding Kernel.org’s kernel 3.19.0). The best thing with kernel 3.19 is that it has better support for the open-source Nvidia driver Nouveau than any other older kernel.
Feature OVERVIEW for the Linux 3.19 kernel
Who can benefit from MeX?
All who like Debian/Ubuntu/Mint and want a system that is easy to use and maintain. Also those who want to run a Linux system superfast from RAM and/or like to run Linux from a USB flash drive. And those who want the latest stable kernel – 3.19.0.
See this screenshot of the Cinnamon Desktop
After releasing the first GNU/Linux distribution with Linux 3.18 kernel a couple of days after its launch back in December 2014, Arne Exton did it again, as he just announced today on Twitter that the his Exton|OS with MATE has been updated to version 150211 and includes a custom 3.19.0-5-exton kernel package based on the upstream Linux kernel 3.19.
In other words, Exton|OS is the first distribution to include the brand-new Linux kernel 3.19, which means that the operating system will offer all the features of Linux kernel 3.19. Besides having an Ubuntu 14.10 base, the Exton|OS computer operating system borrows features from the forthcoming Debian 8 (Jessie) distro, which is currently in development.
READ MORE (about Exton|OS)…
A new and much better version of Exton|OS is ready. I have replaced kernel 3.16.0-21-exton with kernel 3.19.0-5-exton. (Kernel.org‘s stable kernel 3.19.0, released 150209). With kernel 3.19.0 there is no real need to use Nvidia proprietary graphic drivers since this kernel has better support for the open-source Nvidia driver Nouveau than any other older kernel.
Feature OVERVIEW for the Linux 3.19 kernel
Desktop Environment and programs
The Desktop Environment is Mate 1.8.1. (A fork of GNOME 2. It provides an intuitive and attractive desktop environment using traditional metaphors for Linux and other Unix-like operating systems). Kernel 3.19.0-5-exton. (Kernel.org‘s stable kernel 3.19.0, released 150209). Program content: Firefox, Gimp, Google Chrome (added for Netflix), Vlc and GParted. Also all necessary additions in order to install programs from source. All packages have been updated to the latest available version as at February 11, 2015. Study the full package list.
See a screenshot of Exton|OS’s Mate Desktop
I have compiled yet another Ubuntu/Debian kernel for 64 bit systems. This time kernel 3.19.0-5-exton, equivalent to Kernel.org’s stable kernel 3.19.0, released 150209.
Feature OVERVIEW for the Linux 3.19 kernel
Install kernel 3.19.0-5-exton in Ubuntu/Debian based distributions
My self-compiled Ubuntu kernels can be used in all types of modern Ubuntu systems, including Mint. They can even be used in Debian Jessie (upcoming Debian 8). If you want to use my kernel 3.19.0-5-exton for 64 bit systems, you can DOWNLOAD it from here.
md5sum for ubuntu-kernel-64bit-3.19.0-5-exton.zip, which is of 62,0 MB.
Open the zip-file with WinZip, WinRAR or 7-Zip. Or run this command: unzip ubuntu-kernel-64bit-3.19.0-5-exton.zip. Go into the folder ubuntu-kernel-64bit-3.19.0-5-exton and run this command:
sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.19.0-5_3.19.0-5.5_all.deb \
Then: Run command sudo update-grub (if you use Grub2).
It is possible to install Nvidia’s proprietary drivers if you use “my” kernel 3.19.0-5-exton. Could be useful if you like to play games. Please read this instruction. The Nvidia drivers in for example Ubuntu’s repositories – “Current” etc. – can’t be used. It is supposed to be “impossible” to install Nvidia’s latest drivers when running kernel 3.17 – 3.19 without “patches” etc. On the other hand it’s a fact that kernel 3.19 has better support for the open-source Nvidia driver Nouveau than any other older kernel.
A small clarification
“My” kernel 3.19.0-5-exton is compiled exactly the same way as all official Ubuntu kernels. That is, The Ubuntu Way. If not, the kernel would not function in a Ubuntu/Debian system.
All Exton Linux distributions are hosted by The Swedish Linux Society. Fourteen (14) exton distributions can also be downloaded from SourceForge.net – Fast, secure and free downloads from the largest Open Source applications and software directory and/or from Softpedia.com – the encyclopedia of free software downloads!
ExTiX 15.1.1 build 150205 replaces version 15.1 build 150105 with Razor-qt and version 15.1 build 150104 with Gnome 3.14.
ABOUT ExTiX 15.1.1 build 150205
ExTiX Linux Live DVD 64 bit is based on Debian Jessie/Ubuntu 14.10. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Unity (Ubuntu). After removing Unity I have installed LXQt 0.8.0 (in ExTiX 15.1.1, build 150205). LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment.
The system language is English.
NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 15.1.1 build 150205
1. ExTiX LXQt is now based on Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn. LXQt 0.8.0 (not in Ubuntu’s repositories) is used as Desktop environment. All packages have been updated to the latest version by 150205. Kernel 3.18.0-10-exton is used. (Kernel.org‘s stable kernel 3.18.3).
2. Google Chrome is used as Web Browser, which makes it possible to watch Netflix movies. It is not possible in Firefox (in Linux).
3. I have also installed BlueGriffon Web Editor. BlueGriffon is a new WYSIWYG content editor for the World Wide Web. Powered by Gecko, the rendering engine of Firefox, it’s a modern and robust solution to edit Web pages in conformance to the latest Web Standards. Only to be compared with Dreamweaver. (In my opinion).
4. Other included important/useful packages are: LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GParted, Brasero, SMPlayer, GCC and other compilation tools so that you can install packages from source. Furthermore “all” multimedia codecs. Everything the average Linux user could wish for I would say.
5. I have also installed Nvidia Graphic driver 346.35. It has support for the following GPUs: GeForce 800A, GeForce 800M, GeForce GTX 970M and GeForce GTX 980M. This driver will be used automatically if your card is supported.Note: The main reason for me to abandon Gnome 3.14 (which was used in the previous version of ExTiX) is that Gnome 3.14 won’t run together with Nvidia’s proprietary drivers.
Who is ExTiX for?
All who like Ubuntu/Debian. In addition, anyone who wants to run a Linux system from a USB stick and save system changes on the stick. A hard disk installation thus becomes “unnecessary”. Especially as you also can run ExTiX superfast from RAM. (You’ll need then at least 2 GB of RAM). Furthermore, anyone who wants a “ready to go” Linux system. “All” necessary programs are pre-installed in ExTiX.
Screenshot of the live Desktop – ExTiX 15.1.1 with LXQt 0.8.0
NEWS 150202 about Exton|OS Light Live CD – ISO file of 755 MB
I’ve made a new extra version of Exton|OS based on upcoming Ubuntu 15.04 (alias Vivid Vervet) 64 bit with only a minimum of packages pre-installed. Among them a terminal emulator (LXTerminal), a Web Browser (Chromium), PCManFM (file manager), NetworkManager, GParted (Partition Editor) and Synaptic (Package Manager). I give you the pleasure of installing all extra packages you need after a hard disk installation of Exton|OS Light. Use Synaptic for that. You can of course also install new packages while running the system live (from CD/USB stick), but nothing will be saved after a reboot. Unless you have followed my USB Install Instruction and used Boot alternative 2 – Persistent. If you have plenty of RAM you can even install big programs (such as LibreOffice) while running the system live even from CD. Exton|OS Light’s Window manager Openbox guarantees lightness and elegance.
This version of Exton|OS Light from 150202 replaces version 141007 of Exton|OS Light.
Exton|OS Light Live CD is based on upcoming Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet 64 bit (to be released in a stable version in April, 2015) and Debian Jessie. Exton|OS Light’s ISO file (of 755 MB!) a ISO-hybrid, which means that it can very easily be transferred (copied) to an USB pen drive. You can then even run Exton|OS from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence! I’ve found two scripts which make the installation to USB very simple. The scripts are quite ingenious. My tests show that they work flawlessly on USB installations of all normal Ubuntu systems. Read my INSTRUCTION how to use the scripts.
All installed packages in Exton|OS Light have been updated to the latest available version as at February 2, 2015. Study the full package list.
My special kernel 3.18.0-18-exton, equivalent to Kernel.org’s stable kernel 3.18.3, released 150116.
Feature OVERVIEW for the Linux 3.18 kernel
See a screenshot of Exton|OS Light’s Openbox Desktop
A new version of EXTON Linux MultibootCD 6-OS is ready. Changes: New (latest) versions of GParted, Puppy Linux (PuppEX Tahr), 4MLinux and Tiny Core. The other two systems (Slax and SliTaz) are unchanged.
Install EXTON MultiBootCD to USB »
WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 150126?
1. ExLight is now based on upcoming Ubuntu 15.04 (alias Vivid Vervet) and Debian Jessie.
2. I have upgraded the Desktop environment Enlightenment (Beauty at your fingertips) to version 0.19.1.
3. I have replaced kernel 3.16.0-21-exton with kernel 3.18.0-10-exton.
4. ExLight’s ISO file is now a ISO-hybrid, which means that it can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can then even run ExLight from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence! I’ve found two scripts which make the installation to USB very simple. The scripts are quite ingenious. My tests show that they work flawlessly on USB installations of all normal Ubuntu systems. Read my INSTRUCTION how to use the scripts.
5. Another big improvement is that ExLight can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExLight that way.
6. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended in ExLight version 150126. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.
7. I have installed Nvidia Graphic driver 346.35.
8. The ISO file has decreased in size from 1200 MB to 768 MB. It means that the system will run faster from DVD or USB stick. When you run ExLight from RAM everything will be superfast!
The Desktop Environment is Enlightenment 0.19.1. (Beauty at your fingertips). Kernel 3.18.0-10-exton is used. (Kernel.org‘s kernel 3.18.3). Program content: Synaptic, GParted, Wicd, AbiWord, PCManFM, Google Chrome (for watching Netflix movies) and Gimp. Also some additions in order to install programs from source. Study the full program LIST. All packages have been updated to the latest available version as at January 26, 2015.
The system language is English.
See a screenshot of the Enlightenment 0.19.1 Desktop