A new and much better version of Exton|OS is ready. I have replaced kernel 3.16.0-21-exton with kernel 3.19.0-5-exton. (Kernel.org‘s stable kernel 3.19.0, released 150209). With kernel 3.19.0 there is no real need to use Nvidia proprietary graphic drivers since this kernel has better support for the open-source Nvidia driver Nouveau than any other older kernel.
Feature OVERVIEW for the Linux 3.19 kernel
Desktop Environment and programs
The Desktop Environment is Mate 1.8.1. (A fork of GNOME 2. It provides an intuitive and attractive desktop environment using traditional metaphors for Linux and other Unix-like operating systems). Kernel 3.19.0-5-exton. (Kernel.org‘s stable kernel 3.19.0, released 150209). Program content: Firefox, Gimp, Google Chrome (added for Netflix), Vlc and GParted. Also all necessary additions in order to install programs from source. All packages have been updated to the latest available version as at February 11, 2015. Study the full package list.
See a screenshot of Exton|OS’s Mate Desktop
All Exton Linux distributions are hosted by The Swedish Linux Society. Fourteen (14) exton distributions can also be downloaded from SourceForge.net – Fast, secure and free downloads from the largest Open Source applications and software directory and/or from Softpedia.com – the encyclopedia of free software downloads!
ExTiX 15.1.1 build 150205 replaces version 15.1 build 150105 with Razor-qt and version 15.1 build 150104 with Gnome 3.14.
ABOUT ExTiX 15.1.1 build 150205
ExTiX Linux Live DVD 64 bit is based on Debian Jessie/Ubuntu 14.10. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Unity (Ubuntu). After removing Unity I have installed LXQt 0.8.0 (in ExTiX 15.1.1, build 150205). LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment.
The system language is English.
NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 15.1.1 build 150205
1. ExTiX LXQt is now based on Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn. LXQt 0.8.0 (not in Ubuntu’s repositories) is used as Desktop environment. All packages have been updated to the latest version by 150205. Kernel 3.18.0-10-exton is used. (Kernel.org‘s stable kernel 3.18.3).
2. Google Chrome is used as Web Browser, which makes it possible to watch Netflix movies. It is not possible in Firefox (in Linux).
3. I have also installed BlueGriffon Web Editor. BlueGriffon is a new WYSIWYG content editor for the World Wide Web. Powered by Gecko, the rendering engine of Firefox, it’s a modern and robust solution to edit Web pages in conformance to the latest Web Standards. Only to be compared with Dreamweaver. (In my opinion).
4. Other included important/useful packages are: LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GParted, Brasero, SMPlayer, GCC and other compilation tools so that you can install packages from source. Furthermore “all” multimedia codecs. Everything the average Linux user could wish for I would say.
5. I have also installed Nvidia Graphic driver 346.35. It has support for the following GPUs: GeForce 800A, GeForce 800M, GeForce GTX 970M and GeForce GTX 980M. This driver will be used automatically if your card is supported.Note: The main reason for me to abandon Gnome 3.14 (which was used in the previous version of ExTiX) is that Gnome 3.14 won’t run together with Nvidia’s proprietary drivers.
Who is ExTiX for?
All who like Ubuntu/Debian. In addition, anyone who wants to run a Linux system from a USB stick and save system changes on the stick. A hard disk installation thus becomes “unnecessary”. Especially as you also can run ExTiX superfast from RAM. (You’ll need then at least 2 GB of RAM). Furthermore, anyone who wants a “ready to go” Linux system. “All” necessary programs are pre-installed in ExTiX.
Screenshot of the live Desktop – ExTiX 15.1.1 with LXQt 0.8.0
NEWS 150202 about Exton|OS Light Live CD – ISO file of 755 MB
I’ve made a new extra version of Exton|OS based on upcoming Ubuntu 15.04 (alias Vivid Vervet) 64 bit with only a minimum of packages pre-installed. Among them a terminal emulator (LXTerminal), a Web Browser (Chromium), PCManFM (file manager), NetworkManager, GParted (Partition Editor) and Synaptic (Package Manager). I give you the pleasure of installing all extra packages you need after a hard disk installation of Exton|OS Light. Use Synaptic for that. You can of course also install new packages while running the system live (from CD/USB stick), but nothing will be saved after a reboot. Unless you have followed my USB Install Instruction and used Boot alternative 2 – Persistent. If you have plenty of RAM you can even install big programs (such as LibreOffice) while running the system live even from CD. Exton|OS Light’s Window manager Openbox guarantees lightness and elegance.
This version of Exton|OS Light from 150202 replaces version 141007 of Exton|OS Light.
Exton|OS Light Live CD is based on upcoming Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet 64 bit (to be released in a stable version in April, 2015) and Debian Jessie. Exton|OS Light’s ISO file (of 755 MB!) a ISO-hybrid, which means that it can very easily be transferred (copied) to an USB pen drive. You can then even run Exton|OS from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence! I’ve found two scripts which make the installation to USB very simple. The scripts are quite ingenious. My tests show that they work flawlessly on USB installations of all normal Ubuntu systems. Read my INSTRUCTION how to use the scripts.
All installed packages in Exton|OS Light have been updated to the latest available version as at February 2, 2015. Study the full package list.
My special kernel 3.18.0-18-exton, equivalent to Kernel.org’s stable kernel 3.18.3, released 150116.
Feature OVERVIEW for the Linux 3.18 kernel
See a screenshot of Exton|OS Light’s Openbox Desktop
A new version of EXTON Linux MultibootCD 6-OS is ready. Changes: New (latest) versions of GParted, Puppy Linux (PuppEX Tahr), 4MLinux and Tiny Core. The other two systems (Slax and SliTaz) are unchanged.
Install EXTON MultiBootCD to USB »
WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 150126?
1. ExLight is now based on upcoming Ubuntu 15.04 (alias Vivid Vervet) and Debian Jessie.
2. I have upgraded the Desktop environment Enlightenment (Beauty at your fingertips) to version 0.19.1.
3. I have replaced kernel 3.16.0-21-exton with kernel 3.18.0-10-exton.
4. ExLight’s ISO file is now a ISO-hybrid, which means that it can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can then even run ExLight from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence! I’ve found two scripts which make the installation to USB very simple. The scripts are quite ingenious. My tests show that they work flawlessly on USB installations of all normal Ubuntu systems. Read my INSTRUCTION how to use the scripts.
5. Another big improvement is that ExLight can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExLight that way.
6. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended in ExLight version 150126. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.
7. I have installed Nvidia Graphic driver 346.35.
8. The ISO file has decreased in size from 1200 MB to 768 MB. It means that the system will run faster from DVD or USB stick. When you run ExLight from RAM everything will be superfast!
The Desktop Environment is Enlightenment 0.19.1. (Beauty at your fingertips). Kernel 3.18.0-10-exton is used. (Kernel.org‘s kernel 3.18.3). Program content: Synaptic, GParted, Wicd, AbiWord, PCManFM, Google Chrome (for watching Netflix movies) and Gimp. Also some additions in order to install programs from source. Study the full program LIST. All packages have been updated to the latest available version as at January 26, 2015.
The system language is English.
See a screenshot of the Enlightenment 0.19.1 Desktop